- 3 1/2 tbsp. unsalted butter (at room temperature), plus more for the pan
- 1 1/2 c. whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 c. plus 1 rounded tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 12 slices white sandwich bread (we used Pepperidge Farm)
- 1 6-oz. pkg. small raspberries
- 1 6-oz. pkg. small blueberries
- Heat oven to 350°F. Butter four 1-cup oven-safe bowls or baking dishes.
- In a large pitcher, measuring cup or bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, 1/3 cup sugar, vanilla, and salt.
- Remove the crusts from the bread, then spread one side of each piece with the butter. Cut each piece in half to make two triangles. Arrange some of the bread, buttered-side up, around each bowl or baking dish. Top with the berries, then repeat, making sure to keep the bread around the edges of the dish.
- Pour the custard mixture over the bread and berries (about 2/3 cup per dish). Sprinkle with the remaining rounded tablespoon of sugar (about 1 teaspoon per dish) and place the bowls on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Cover the dishes loosely with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until the custard is set and the bread is lightly golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes more.