One of the nice things about this easy pudding is you don’t have to stand and stir it. You can serve this after dinner on any occasion.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg yolks, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a double boiler or metal bowl over simmering water, heat the milk, butter and chocolate until chocolate is melted (chocolate may appear curdled).
- Combine sugar, flour and salt. Sprinkle over chocolate mixture (do not stir). Cover and continue to cook in a double boiler over medium-low heat, 20 minutes. With a wooden spoon, stir until smooth. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and a thermometer reads 160°. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cool for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to dessert dishes.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. If desired, top with whipped cream.
- Yield: 4 servings.