- 1 3/4 c. yellow cornmeal, spooned and leveled
- 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 4 tsp. sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. Kosher salt
- 2 1/4 c. Buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 c. Buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 c. unsalted butter, melted, plus more for griddle
- Whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Stir together buttermilk, eggs, and butter in a separate bowl. Stir buttermilk mixture into cornmeal mixture until just blended and smooth.
- Heat a griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium heat; butter. Pour about ⅓ cup batter for each pancake onto griddle. Cook until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look dry, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn and cook until plump and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Place pancakes in a single layer on a baking sheet, and keep warm in a 175°F oven up to 30 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Make the Crispy Chicken Fingers: Whisk together flour, baking powder, onion powder, cayenne, salt, and black pepper in a bowl. Whisk together buttermilk and eggs in a separate bowl. Toss chicken, one piece at a time, in flour mixture; dip in buttermilk mixture and toss again in flour mixture. Let coated chicken stand in flour mixture for 10 minutes.
- Set a wire rack over a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Pour 1 ½ inches oil in a deep skillet or Dutch oven. Clip an oil thermometer onto the pan and heat over medium-high to 360°F. Fry chicken, in batches and turning occasionally, until golden brown and internal temperature reaches 165°F, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to prepared rack; season with salt. Keep warm in a 175°F oven up to 30 minutes.