A microwave oven is one of the most common kitchen appliance that is found in almost every kitchen. The appliance not only helps immensely in terms of cooking, but re-heating already cooked food and that’s the reason why people from most economic backgrounds tend to install it in their kitchens.
However, convenience like this surely comes with a price. According to a study conducted by Swiss scientist Hans Hertel, cooking food in the microwave depletes it of its nutritious qualities. The high radiation with which it heats/cooks the food deforms the molecules in food, thereby creating harmful radioactive compounds.
What can microwave ovens cause?
As per various researches, microwave ovens can weaken your immune system and may also lead to birth defects. In fact, there has been an overwhelming increase in cancer developments with the regular use of a microwave oven. It reduces your power to fight bacterial and viral infections if one consumes microwaved food for a long period of time.
According to the study conducted by Hans, microwaving food leads to food degeneration. Another study concluded that microwaves can also lead to elevated blood sugar levels in certain people.
How To Safely Use Your Microwaves
Having mentioned the disadvantages, it is surely not to claim that this innovation shouldn’t be used. In fact, by using the microwave there are also researches supporting safety of microwave use, but you have to know how to use it correctly.
Though using a microwave can be a healthful, and easy way to cook, but be a 100% sure that it is in a good condition, using only a microwave-safe container. Here are a few safety measures you can take:
- Avoid using a microwave oven to heat/cook for infants or children.
- Stir food thoroughly while you cook/heat in microwave and never microwave longer than the recommended time.
- Use a microwave to cook vegetables instead of heating processed meats and snacks.
- Always test the temperature of the breast milk if at all heated in microwave oven.
Ideally, avoid heating it in the microwave
- Do not overheat water and other liquids. In fact, avoid using microwave for heating/cooking liquid food or water.